Clinical Reference Systems: Pediatric Advisor 10.0
Decreased Appetite During Illness
- Your child has recently started eating less.
- Your child has an associated recent illness.
A decrease in appetite is normal with most minor illnesses.
This is not harmful. It is not very helpful in determining
the seriousness or cause of the illness.
For a while let your child choose what he eats. Children
with decreased appetites usually continue to drink enough
CALL YOUR CHILD'S PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY IF:
- Your child is less than 2 months old.
- Your child has not urinated in more than 8 hours.
- Your child starts acting very sick.
CALL YOUR CHILD'S PHYSICIAN DURING OFFICE HOURS IF:
- The poor appetite lasts for more than 1 week.
- Your child is not drinking adequate fluids.
- You have other questions or concerns.